Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller will provide hands-on general accounting operational support for our company.
This seasoned individual will be both a team leader and strong individual contributor, and be responsible for all areas relating to accounting, financial reporting, general ledger, AP/AR, fixed assets and payroll. In addition, this position will help set accounting policies, design and implement automation of accounting processes, procedures and internal controls.
The successful candidate will be able to apply his/her SasS start up, technical accounting knowledge, and analytical skills to create a dynamic, first class, highly scalable and efficient, accounting department for a hyper-growth, high-tech company.
She/He will ensure timely monthly closes of the general ledger and be responsible for all financial reporting including monthly and quarterly financial statements, investor reporting, due diligence, and other related internal reports as required.
- Run the accounting department operations, Revenue Recognition, G/L, A/P, Deferred Revenue, A/R,Treasury, and Stock Administration.
- Direct a tight general ledger month-end close process and preparation of monthly financial statements.
- “Own” the Balance Sheet. Fully understand variances to reference points.
- Continually evaluate and optimize month-end close processes, striving to deliver process automation, improved accuracy and higher customer service.
- Develop, establish and review goals.
- Establish strong relationships with inter-departmental peers and be the “go to” accounting source in the Company.
- Helping with the implementation of internal processes for revenue recognition including owning all revenue and deferred revenue accounting
- Developing and ensuring compliance with comprehensive financial policies for the company
- Preparing analysis and presentation materials as needed by the Director of Finance including statements and projections relating to profitability, feasibility and financial statement impact, including support for Board presentations and analysis in support of investor relations.
- Enhancing and/or developing, implementing and enforcing policies and procedures of the organization by way of new/updated systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
- Support the executive team of the company in driving best practices across the company in corporate governance, ethical standards and sustainable business practices.
Desired Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated record of success in positions of increasing responsibility. He/she will have an outstanding track record and reputation for his/her financial acumen, strategic thinking, business judgment, and analytical ability.
An ideal background includes:
- A passion for getting things done, and being part of a team who is laser focused on growth and success
- Minimum 5 years progressively responsible accounting and finance experience, of which a minimum 1 year as a controller or accounting manager.
- Experience with a Big 4 or other national accounting firm preferred.
- Experience in high-tech, fast growth start-ups is required.
- Experience in SaaS industry preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Experience with revenue recognition in a SaaS start-up
- Proven ability and desire to work effectively, delivering accurate results under tight deadlines, in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, dynamic environment.
- Advanced understanding of Excel for financial modeling, proficient in Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills. Ability to confidently and effectively communicate to all levels within the Company.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business is required.
MBA and/or CPA preferred.